Don’t Let Your HVAC Celebrate World Senior Citizen Day
On August 21st we will celebrate World Senior Citizen Day! It is a day to celebrate the wonderful people that have paved the way for us to enjoy the world we live in, and to bring awareness to the plight of many senior citizens around the world. Originally put into place by President Ronald Reagan, it is now celebrated around the world after it was declared a holiday by the General Assembly of the United Nations.
One thing we do not want to celebrate on August 21st, however, is the age of our HVAC systems. Unlike people, heating systems and air conditioners do not age gracefully. We are not going to gain any pearls of wisdom, nor learn any history. In fact, it is quite the opposite, and an aging HVAC system can cause major problems.
This is why it’s important to replace your HVAC system, and to know the reasons why it is important to do so. In this article, we will go over the common issues that an aging HVAC system can cause, and how to know when the time is right to replace your system.
Remember to Change Your Air Filters
The air filters in your HVAC system is what keeps that air in your home clean and at an optimal level. When your air filters are not cleaned or replaced regularly, they will accumulate dust and other debris.
As the filters become more and more clogged, they will not work to clean the air you are breathing. Unfortunately, there is no “set time” to change your HVAC system’s air filters as it can vary depending on your circumstances.
Below, we have outlined a guide, however, so you can determine what is right for your home:
- 6 to12 months- This is best if the home has one person with no pets and no allergies.
- 90 Days- This is best for a suburban family home without pets or serious allergies/breathing issues.
- 60 Days- Best for suburban homes that have one pet and little to no allergies/breathing issues.
- 20 to 45 Days- Any homes that have more than one pet and/or serious allergies or breathing issues.
This is only a guide and you may have to adjust your timing based on your circumstances. For example; Urban homes should change their air filters more often.
Potential Health Issues
Not replacing your air filters (and your HVAC system in its entirety) can cause some serious health effects as well. Low air quality can be caused by the dust and debris that get built up through the duct system, and are not properly removed by your air filters.
Issues like allergens, dust, and bacteria can be found throughout your home. There is also the added concern of mold and mildew build-up that can cause issues when moisture is allowed to build up inside the home. This typically occurs when there is either a leak within the system, or your air conditioner is not working properly.
Some of the health problems associated with these concerns are allergies, exacerbated asthma, bronchial infection, and aggravated emphysema. Cold and flu symptoms are also common including coughing, sneezing, wheezing, sore throat, and other issues.
When Are HVAC Services Needed?
It’s important to keep all the above in mind when making plans to have your HVAC serviced by a professional. Like any other mechanical device, they can need repair. In an effort to lessen these repairs, annual maintenance is recommended on your HVAC system to keep it running up to par.
Unfortunately, however, there will come a time when replacing your system is the better option. Know when that time is can save you stress, money, and inconvenience. The Department of Energy recommends homeowners to replace their HVAC system every 10 to 15 years, but there are some other signs you can look for that indicate it’s time for a new system.
- Frequent and Costly Repairs- If you have frequent repairs, and they cost about half the price of a new system, it is beneficial at that point to install a replacement.
- Air Quality- Another indicator that you need a new system installed, is your air quality. If you have noticed any issues related to the above problems, it’s time to opt for a new system.
- Increased Energy Costs- It’s important to note that your energy bills will not spike dramatically due to the energy company; as they usually raise rates slowly.. If you have noticed an increase in your energy costs, it could be due to your HVAC system not working properly, and needing more energy to run.
- Inconsistent Heating- Another sign is inconsistent heating throughout your home.
- New Smells and Noises- For many homeowners, the sounds of their HVAC system will fade into the background. If you notice new noises or smells, you should have it looked at by a professional and consider a new installation.
Contact A Professional
In a perfect world, our HVAC systems would be like a fine wine and would get better with age. Unfortunately, this is not the case. Though we look forward to celebrating World Senior Citizen Day, we do not want to include our HVAC systems in the celebration.
At Superior Heating, Air Conditioning & Electrical, Inc. we understand that having your HVAC system replaced can be a stressful time. We are here to answer all of your questions, help you will all of your HVAC needs. Call us today at (763) 422-1721.